(a) The competency evaluation for medication administration required in Rule .0403 of this Subchapter shall consist of a written examination and a clinical skills evaluation to determine competency in the following areas:
(1) medical abbreviations and terminology;
(2) transcription of medication orders;
(3) obtaining and documenting vital signs;
(4) procedures and tasks involved with the preparation and administration of oral (including liquid, sublingual and inhaler), topical (including transdermal), ophthalmic, otic, and nasal medications;
(5) infection control procedures;
(6) documentation of medication administration;
(7) monitoring for reactions to medications and procedures to follow when there appears to be a change in the resident’s condition or health status based on those reactions;
(8) medication storage and disposition;
(9) regulations pertaining to medication administration in adult care facilities; and
(10) the facility’s medication administration policy and procedures.
(b) An individual shall score at least 90% on the written examination which shall be a standardized examination established by the Department.
(c) A certificate of successful completion of the written examination shall be issued to each participant successfully completing the examination. A copy of the certificate shall be maintained and available for review in the facility. The certificate is transferable from one facility to another as proof of successful completion of the written examination. A medication study guide for the written examination is available at no charge by contacting the Division of Health Service Regulation, Adult Care Licensure Section, 2708 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-2708.
(d) The clinical skills validation portion of the competency evaluation shall be conducted by a registered nurse or a registered pharmacist consistent with their occupational licensing laws and who has a current unencumbered license in North Carolina. This validation shall be completed for those medication administration tasks to be performed in the facility. Competency validation by a registered nurse is required for unlicensed staff who perform any of the personal care tasks related to medication administration specified in Rule .0903 of this Subchapter.
(e) The Medication Administration Skills Validation Form shall be used to document successful completion of the clinical skills validation portion of the competency evaluation for those medication administration tasks to be performed in the facility employing the medication aide. Copies of this form and instructions for its use may be obtained at no cost by contacting the Adult Care Licensure Section, Division of Health Service Regulation, 2708 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-2708. The completed form shall be maintained and available for review in the facility and is not transferable from one facility to another.