39-971. Quality enhancement wage pass-through program; eligible employees; quarterly wage audits; limitations on use of pass-through moneys; “nursing facilities” defined.
- Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, and within the limits of appropriations therefor, the secretary of health and environment and the secretary for aging and disability services shall establish a quality enhancement wage pass-through program as part of the state medicaid plan to allow nursing facilities electing to participate in such program a payment option of not to exceed $4 per resident day designed to increase salaries or benefits, or both, for those employees providing direct care and support services to residents of nursing facilities. The categories of employees eligible to receive the wage pass-through are the following: Nurse aides, medication aides, restorative-rehabilitation aides, licensed mental health technicians, plant operating and maintenance personnel, nonsupervisory dietary personnel, laundry personnel, housekeeping personnel and nonsupervisory activity staff. The program shall establish a pass-through wage payment system designed to reimburse facilities during the reimbursement period in which the pass-through wage payment costs are incurred.
- Nursing facilities shall have the option to elect to participate in the quality enhancement wage pass-through program. The wage pass-through moneys are to be paid to nursing facilities outside of cost center limits or occupancy penalties as a pass-through labor cost reimbursement. The pass-through cost shall be included in the cost report base.
- The quality enhancement wage pass-through program shall require quarterly wage audits for all nursing facilities participating in the program. The quarterly wage audits will
require facilities to submit cost information within 45 days of the end of each quarter reporting on the use of the wage pass-through payment under the quality enhancement wage pass-through program. This quarterly wage audit process shall be used to assure that the wage pass-through payment was used to increase salaries and benefits to direct care and other support staff as specified in this subsection or to hire additional staff that fall into the eligible personnel categories specified in this subsection.
- No wage pass-through moneys shall be expended to increase management compensation or facility profits. A nursing facility participating in the quality enhancement wage pass-through program which fails to file quarterly enhancement audit reports shall be terminated from the program and shall repay all amounts which the nursing facility has received under the quality enhancement wage pass-through program for that reporting period.
- All expenditures for the quality enhancement wage pass-through program shall be made only from moneys specifically appropriated therefor.
- As used in this section, “nursing facility” means a nursing facility as defined under K.S.A. 39-923, and amendments thereto, or an intermediate care facility for people with intellectual disability as defined under K.S.A. 39-923, and amendments thereto.
History: L. 1999, ch. 101, § 1; L. 2012, ch. 91, § 20; L. 2014, ch. 115, § 152; July 1