I have been operating an assisted living facility for over 30 yrs and never thought about having my facility’s air ducts cleaned. I didn’t even know it was a thing. I recently was informed about what lives in those filthy things. I have annoying allergies that once I found out I had my air ducts in my house cleaned and instantly saw a difference. I had my facility air ducts right after.
Here is some information to better help you understand what nasty stuff is in there.
There are several key signs that your air ducts need a thorough cleaning, including:
- The growth of mold inside the air ducts
- The infestation of small unwanted pests and insects in the air ducts
- If the air ducts are clogged with dust and other debris
Can Dirty Air Ducts Affect Your Resident’s Health?
- Dirty air ducts decreases the quality and cleanliness of your indoor home environment – Keeping air ducts clean has been proven to stop some serious health issues from occurring. The cleaning of air ducts improves the overall health of all family members. Medical research studies have proven that the health of patients suffering from pulmonary health conditions improved when air ducts were cleaned frequently.
- Dirty air ducts are the common cause of allergies, sore throat, colds and coughing – Dirty air ducts lower the quality of air in your house, promoting the circulation of allergens and other bacteria in the air. People with asthma and other allergies are the most likely to become sick; this is especially true with kids and the elderly. This is the main reason why these air ducts should be cleaned especially when expecting newborns who are normally sensitive.
- Dirty air ducts causes the “sick building syndrome” – When the air ducts are not cleaned, pet dander, dust, pollen, and other allergens get stuck in the ducts. These allergens accumulate over time and when the air ducts are used, these allergens are blown around and distribute throughout the building. Breathing this polluted air may not cause allergies to some people but in the long run, it may cause another severe respiratory disease.
- Dirty air ducts can speed up the aging process – Do you ever feel tired and you don’t know why? It’s likely that you are breathing from contaminated air originating from ducts that haven’t been cleaned in months. Apart from causing serious health problems, this contaminated air also speeds up the aging process.
- Dirty air ducts are inhabited by rodents and insects – These unwanted rodents and insects are not only a nuisance but a serious health threat. These rodents and insects often carry disease, bite, get into your home, and even eat your food.
- Dirty air ducts cause odors – The presence of mildew and mold in your air ducts can bring a musty odor to your home. It may become less noticeable to you once you have been exposed to it for an extended period. However, it will be noticeable to any guests you invite to your home.
- Dirty air ducts disables efficient functioning of home ventilation and cooling systems (HVAC) – Dirt and debris can impede the efficient functioning of these systems. When these systems stop functioning, the air is no longer filtered. You can end up breathing in more contaminated air and therefore increasing your chances of becoming sick.
There are a lot of companies out there providing this service. I personally used Duct Dynasty as they are experts in the long-term care arena.