Assisted Living Facilities shall provide apartment-type units with doors that are capable of being locked to help ensure residents their privacy, dignity, and independence.
B. Director Qualifications
1. The Director shall, at least, meet one of the following criteria upon the date of hire:
a. a Bachelor’s degree plus two (2) years of experience in the fields of health, social services, geriatrics, management or administration; or
b. in lieu of a degree, six (6) years of experience in health, social services, geriatrics, management, administration or a combination of undergraduate
education and experience for a total of six (6) years; or
c. a Master’s degree in geriatrics, health care administration, or in a human service-related field or their equivalent.
2. Documentation of Director qualifications shall be on file at the facility.
1. An assisted living facility shall have staff sufficient in number and qualifications on duty at all times to meet the needs of residents.
2. The Facility shall have at least one (1) person on duty and awake twenty-four (24) hours per day.
3. Additional night-time staff may be required as deemed necessary by the Bureau of Licensing and/or Office of State Fire Marshal depending upon the location of the
the facility, the response time of emergency agencies, the availability of other staff, and the number and condition of residents.
D. Resident’s Living Units
1. The facility shall provide private, single, or double-occupancy living units which residents may share if they choose. There shall be no more than two (2) bedrooms
per living unit and each unit shall include at a minimum:
a. a food preparation area consisting of a sink with hot and cold running water, electrical outlets, mini-refrigerator, cooking appliance (such as
microwave or stove), food storage cabinets, and counter space;
b. a private bath that includes a toilet, sink, and shower or tub. The bathrooms must be ADA accessible, as required by the State Fire Marshal;
c. dining/sitting/bedroom area; and,
d. storage/closet space.
2. In addition, all units shall contain:
a. an operating emergency call system (wired or wireless) that is easily accessible to the resident in the event of an emergency and that registers
at a location that is monitored at all hours of the day and night. Facilities having more than one wing, floor or building shall be permitted to have a
separate emergency call system in each provided all systems meet the above criteria;
b. a lockable front door that is controlled by the resident;
c. HVAC thermostats that can be individually controlled by the resident, with a locking mechanism, provided, if required, to prevent harm to a resident; and,
d. at least one telephone outlet. All monthly user charges may be the responsibility of the individual resident.
3. Privacy of residents shall be maintained in all living units and residents in double
occupancy units shall have the right to select their roommates.
4. Residents shall be allowed to keep keys to their individual living unit.
5. Staff shall knock and request entrance before entering any occupied living unit.
6. Staff may have and utilize passkeys to units as is necessary for service or emergencies.
E. Efficiency/Studio Living Units
1. Efficiency/studio living units shall have a minimum of two hundred fifty (250) net
square feet of floor space, excluding bathrooms and closets.
2. An efficiency/studio living unit may be shared by two (2) individuals only if the second individual is a husband/wife/relative or live-in companion and only then if
both parties agree, in writing, to the arrangement.
F. Living Units With Separate Bedrooms
1. Living units with separate bedrooms shall have a living area (living/dining/kitchenette) of at least one hundred ninety (190) net square feet,
excluding bathroom and closets.
2. Each separate bedroom shall have a minimum of one hundred twenty (120) net square feet, excluding bathroom and closet or wardrobe space.
3. Bedrooms designed for one (1) individual (120 net square feet) may only be
shared with another individual if that individual is a husband/wife/relative or live-in companion and only then if both parties agree, in writing, to the arrangement.
4. Bedrooms designed for two (2) individuals shall have a minimum of two hundred (200) net square feet excluding bathrooms and closet or wardrobe space.
Residents sharing a living unit with a two (2) person bedroom shall be allowed to choose their roommate. Both individuals must agree, in writing, to this
5. No bedrooms shall accommodate more than two (2) residents.
6. Bedrooms shall contain an outside window. Skylights are not acceptable for use as windows.
7. A room where access is through a bathroom or another bedroom shall not be
approved or used as a resident’s bedroom.
1. Entrance to a bathroom from one-bedroom shall not be through another bedroom.
2. Grab bars and non-skid surfacing or strips shall be installed in all showers and bath areas.
3. Bathrooms shall have floors and walls of impermeable, cleanable, and easily
4. Resident bathrooms must not be utilized for storage or purposes other than those indicated by this Subsection.
5. Hot and cold water faucets shall be easily identifiable.
The Facility shall provide adequate portable or permanent closet(s) in the resident’s unit for clothing and personal belongings.
I. Furnishings and Supplies.
Each Facility shall strive to maintain a residential environment and encourage residents to use their own furnishings and supplies. However, if the
the resident does not bring their own furniture, the Facility shall assist in planning and arranging for obtaining:
1. a bed, including a frame and a clean mattress and pillow;
2. basic furnishings, such as a private dresser or similar storage area for personal belongings that are readily accessible to the resident;
3. a closet, permanent or portable, to store clothing and aids to physical functioning, if any, which is readily accessible to the resident;
4. a minimum of two (2) chairs;
5. blankets and linens appropriate in number and type for the season and the individual resident’s comfort;
6. towels and washcloths; and,
7. provisions for dining in the living unit.
J. Determination of Licensed Capacity. The following criteria shall be followed in determining the licensed capacity of an assisted living facility.
1. Each efficiency/studio-designed living unit shall be counted as one (1) in determining licensed capacity.
2. Each living unit with one (1) private bedroom, of at least one hundred twenty (120) net square feet shall be counted as one (1) in determining capacity.
3. Each living unit with two (2) private bedrooms, of at least one hundred twenty (120) net square feet each shall be counted as two (2) in determining licensed
capacity. There shall be no more than two (2) bedrooms in each living area.
4. Each living unit with a bedroom, of at least two hundred (200) net square feet, shall be counted as two (2) in determining licensed capacity. There shall be no
more than two (2) bedrooms in each living unit.
5. There shall also be at least sixty (60) net square feet of common space for each licensed unit. (Example: 60 X total licensed capacity equals required common
6. It is recognized that there may be more individuals in a facility due to husbands
and wives sharing a living unit than is listed as the total licensed capacity