The following regulation provided by the Maryland Office of Health Care Quality provides us with a look at
what can happen if you do not take their rules and regulations seriously. While it may seem severe to
lose your license to operate, you must remember the lives we are ensured to care for our vulnerable and
all precautions for who is caring for them must be taken.
A. If the Secretary determines that an assisted living program has violated this chapter, the Secretary, in addition
to the sanctions set forth in this chapter may:
(1) Restrict the number of residents the assisted living program may admit in accordance with Health-General
Article, §19-328, Annotated Code of Maryland;
(2) Require the assisted living program to reduce the number of residents in care;
(3) Restrict the levels of care for which the assisted living program may provide services;
(4) Require the licensee, and any of its staff, to receive remedial instruction in a specific area;
(5) Require the assisted living program to use the services of a management firm approved by the Department;
(6) Mandate staffing patterns which specify the number of personnel, personnel qualifications, or both;
(7) Require the establishment of an escrow account in accordance with Health-General Article, §19-362,
Annotated Code of Maryland;
(8) Direct the licensee to correct the violations in a specific manner or within a specified time frame or both;
(9) Notify, or require the assisted living program to notify, the representative or family of any resident who is
affected by the noncompliance;
(10) Increase the frequency of monitoring visits during a specified period of time; or
(11) Enter into an agreement with the licensee establishing certain conditions for continued operation, including
time limits for compliance.
B. If the Secretary determines that the licensee has violated a condition or requirement of an imposed sanction, the
Secretary may suspend or revoke the license.
(1) A licensee aggrieved by the imposition of a sanction under §A(1), (2), or (3) or B of this regulation may
appeal the Secretary’s action by filing a request for a hearing in accordance with Regulation .64 of this chapter.(2) A licensee aggrieved by the imposition of a sanction under §A(7) of this regulation may appeal the
Secretary’s action in accordance with Health-General Article, §§19-364 and 19-367, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(3) This section does not, however, create an appeal for a decision made under Regulation .22I of this chapter