- The facility shall have at least two (2) approved exits, that do not involve windows and which are remote from each other.
- Facilities with ten (10) or more residents shall have each exit clearly marked with lighted signs having letters at least six (6) inches high and at least three-quarters (3/4) of an inch wide. Exit signs shall be visible at all times.
- Facilities with three (3) or fewer residents shall have a flashlight that is immediately available for use in lieu of electrically interconnected emergency lighting.
- Exits shall be clear of obstructions at all times.
- Exits, exit paths, or means of egress shall not pass through hazardous areas, garages, storerooms, closets, utility rooms, laundry rooms, bedrooms, or spaces subject to locking.
- For facilities with four (4) or more residents, sliding doors are not acceptable as a required exit. EXCEPTION: Assisted living facilities with three (3) or fewer residents may have sliding doors as required exits.
- When the yard gate(s) is part of the exit access and is locked, the gate shall be connected to the fire protection system and release upon activation of the fire/smoke system or shall have the ability to be unlocked at the gate site.
[126.96.36.199 NMAC – Rp, 188.8.131.52 NMAC, 1/15/2010]