22.214.171.124 HAZARDOUS AREAS: Hazardous areas include: Fuel fired equipment rooms (not a typical residential kitchen), bulk laundries or laundry rooms with more than one hundred (100) sq. ft., storage rooms more than fifty (50) sq. ft. but less than one hundred (100) sq. ft. not storing combustibles, storage rooms with more than one hundred (100) sq. ft. storing combustibles, chemical storage rooms with more than fifty (50) sq. ft., garages and maintenance shops/rooms.
- Hazardous areas on the same floor as, and in or abutting, a primary means of escape or a sleeping room shall be protected by either:
(1) an enclosure of at least one hour fire rating with self-closing or automatic closing on smoke detection fire doors having a three-quarter (3/4) hour rating; or
(2) an automatic fire protection (sprinkler) and separation of hazardous area with self-closing doors or doors with automatic-closing on smoke detection; or
(3) other hazardous areas shall be enclosed with walls with at least a twenty (20) minute fire rating and doors equivalent to one and three-quarter (1 3/4) inch solid bonded wood core, operated by self-closures or automatic closing on smoke detection.
- Boiler, furnace or fuel fired water heater rooms. For facilities with four (4) or more residents: all boiler, furnace or fuel fired water heater rooms shall be protected from other parts of the building by construction having a fire resistance rating of not less than one (1) hour. Doors to these rooms shall be one and three-quarter (1-3/4) inch solid core.
[126.96.36.199 NMAC – Rp, 188.8.131.52 NMAC, 1/15/2010]