As the administrator of an assisted living facility, you are entrusted with an enormous amount of responsibility. Think about it; you are ultimately responsible for EVERYTHING that happens in the facility, clinical care, food service, census, it’s on your shoulders. It takes a dedicated, detail-oriented person to run a community, in addition to the following regulation, provided by the Virginia Department of Social Services as to who is qualified to be an ALF administrator:
22VAC40-73-140. Administrator qualifications.
- The administrator shall be at least 21 years of age.
- The administrator shall be able to read and write and understand this chapter.
- The administrator shall be able to perform the duties and carry out the responsibilities required by this chapter.
- For a facility licensed only for residential living care that does not employ an administrator licensed by the Virginia Board of Long-Term Care Administrators, the administrator shall:
- Be a high school graduate or shall have a General Education Development (GED) Certificate;
- (i) Have successfully completed at least 30 credit hours of postsecondary education from a college or university accredited by an association recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and at least 15 of the 30 credit hours shall be in business or human services or a combination thereof; (ii) have successfully completed a course of study approved by the department that is specific to the administration of an assisted living facility; (iii) have a bachelor’s degree from a college or university accredited by an association recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education; or (iv) be a licensed nurse; and
- Have at least one year of administrative or supervisory experience in caring for adults in a residential group care facility. The requirements of this subsection shall not apply to an administrator of an assisted living facility employed prior to February 1, 2018, who met the requirements in effect when employed and who has been continuously employed as an assisted living facility administrator.
- For a facility licensed for both residential and assisted living care, the administrator shall be licensed as an assisted living facility administrator or nursing home administrator by the Virginia Board of Long-Term Care Administrators pursuant to Chapter 31 (§ 54.1-3100 et seq.) of Title 54.1 of the Code of Virginia.