As the administrator of an assisted living, you are responsible for all the dealings in the community. Alas, you cannot be there 24/7 as you need time to refresh and recharge. If your or your designee’s absence, you are required to designate a care team member to be in charge. Check out the following regulation provided by DOSS for more information:
22VAC40-73-190. The designated direct care staff person in charge.
- When the administrator, the designated assistant, or the manager is not awake and on duty on the premises, there shall be a designated direct care staff member in charge on the premises. However, when no residents are present at the facility, the designated staff person in charge does not have to be on the premises.
- The specific duties and responsibilities of the designated direct care staff member in charge shall be determined by the administrator.
- Prior to being placed in charge, the staff member shall be informed of and receive training on his duties and responsibilities and provided written documentation of such duties and responsibilities.
- The staff member shall be awake and on duty on the premises while in charge.
- The staff member in charge shall be capable of protecting the physical and mental wellbeing of the residents.
- The administrator shall ensure that the staff member in charge is prepared to carry out his duties and responsibilities and respond appropriately in case of an emergency.
- The staff member in charge shall not be a resident of the facility.